It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:29 pm

New Loaches: Botia modesta and Syncrossus helodes 
Site Admin

Post New Loaches: Botia modesta and Syncrossus helodes
We were at Petco and they had Botia modesta (redtail blue loach). They were very pale and lethargic and of course there were salt containers in their tank.
I asked for three and the young lady said due to the fact that they would probably die with the salt if I would take them she would give me the fourth one free just to get it out of the tank.
Then in the next tank was a Syncrossus helodes formerly Botia helodes(banded tiger loach). If I would take him I could just have him. She marked him up as an adoption fish.
The Modestas are in a 30g long fattening up and acclimating although I had already acclimated them to freshwater for about 1 1/2 hour. I don't think their ready to compete for food.
The helodes is in a 55g. The get large and can be aggressive but everything in that tank is large and fast. They also do better in groups and if I see some I will buy him buddies but I'm not going to ask them to order any.
1st pic modesta right out of the bag
2nd is several hours later(doesn't look like the same fish )
3rd Syncrossus helodes
Carol

Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm
Profile E-mail YIM

Post Re: New Loaches: Botia modesta and Syncrossus helodes
Woot!!! New loaches,

(So glad to hear the lady knew they didn't like salt even if they were still being kept with salt)

Will they be going into your 75g once they have quarantined or a species only tank?

Anna

Fri May 28, 2010 9:54 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Post Re: New Loaches: Botia modesta and Syncrossus helodes
They will go into the 75g after awhile. I fed them bloodworms last night and they acted like they didn't know what they were but did finally eat them. I'm going to keep them quarantined until they are eating a little more aggressively. they are so funny they chase each other around the tank then all huddle under the filter and look to see what's going on :)
The Syncrossus helodes is a little more shy than the Modesta but that could be because he is the only of his kind in the tank.
carol

Sat May 29, 2010 5:48 pm
Profile E-mail YIM